Cadet-Communications candidates must pass the Computerized Multi-tasking Exercise (CritiCall) before advancing to Phase I Structured Oral Interview process:
- Cadet-Communications candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to sit for the Computerized Multitasking Exercise (CritiCall). This assessment is a computer-based test on decision making skills, multi-tasking abilities, language arts skills, and the ability to listen and understand information. This test also assess your data entry and typing skills. There are 10 modules, and Cadet-Communications candidates will be required to pass all modules in order to move forward in the hiring process.
Cadet-Field and Cadet Communications candidates must pass the Structured Oral Interview (SOI) before advancing to Phase II:
- The SOI consists of a series of questions that will assesses the skills and abilities necessary to perform as a medic in the field or communications for Austin-Travis County EMS. These questions can range from hypothetical scenarios to specific questions about how you tend to deal with situations. Your answers will be rated by a panel of assessors.
- All candidates (Field and Communications) must pass the SOI element with a score of 70 percent or higher to advance to Phase II-Background.
- Out-of-State candidates are instructed to complete a few of the background elements while in Austin. They should prepare to be in town for at least 2 to 3 days.
- Unsuccessful candidates are eligible to reapply for future hiring processes.
This phase is not subject to the appeals process.
- Once initial scoring is complete, each candidate who served in the U.S. armed services, received an honorable discharge, and passed the SOI, will receive five (5) military points to their score. Candidates will be ranked on the initial eligibility list from highest to lowest score, including military points. Licensed Paramedics and Paramedics who hold their certification prior to the application deadline will be ranked at the top of the list.
In the event of a tie, the following criteria shall be used to determine placement on the initial eligibility list, in the following order:
1. Structured Oral Interview score, excluding military points;
2. Application date and time received by the EMS Recruiting Office